Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Teleology, Happy Ending


Teleology, Happy Ending

 

A collaborative show by Enzo Camacho, Amy Lien and Michael Sanchez
Opening August 8, 6PM
Exhibition runs until August 20, 2009, Gallery Hours 2PM-6PM, Wednesday-Friday, Saturday by appointment only
Before arriving in Manila, I was already engaged in a long work of anticipation. I thought that mental and ethical calisthenics were the only way to ensure that I could make art here that would not, on the one hand, indulge in enthusiastic fascination or, on the other, retreat behind the hardening effects of culture shock.

I was writing aphorisms and slogans to myself which began as being about the possibility of work, but quickly became more about the possibility of writing slogans or aphorisms. As someone who has made art objects in the past but never thought of himself as an “artist” -- and, moreover, has been trained mostly as a reader of art history and philosophy – the possibility of falling into a predetermined position in my collaborative role was very much on my mind.

Amy landed in Manila a few days after me. The next morning, we flew to Boracay. By this point, I was increasingly dubious of my preparations, which seemed to be floating in the wrong register, inaccessible and irrelevant. But they were not so easily conjured away. Our first collaborative piece -- two paintings, one reading “Teleology” and the other “Happy Ending” – emerged suddenly, at sunset, without warning. (Michael Sanchez)

Enzo Camacho, Amy Lien and Michael Sanchez are artists currently based in Boston, Tucson and New York, respectively. They received their BAs from Harvard University and have shown individually in New York, Boston and Tucson. This is their first show in the Philippines.
GREEN PAPAYA ART PROJECTS
41 T. Gener Street (corner Kamuning Rd.), Quezon City Phone 0918 9457387

No comments: